This is Ivan after his minor surgery that he had yesterday. As you can see, he if very tired, but he seemed to do a great during the surgery. Soon after they took us to the waiting room and took Ivan back to surgery, the nurse came out and said that the dr. would like to give Ivan a cauddle (sp?) that would basically work like and epidural and numb him from waist down after the surgery. I guess they noticed just how active he is and they wanted to make sure he could not kick and move too much for several hours after the surgery. Well, when the took us back to see Ivan, which seemed like days later, he was up on all fours and crawling on the bed! So, it did not appear as though the cauddle actually worked out so well! The nurse gave me a bottle of pedialyte and said we had to try to get him to drink something other than milk before he went home. She insisted that he would not drink any of it, but we had to try. Well, he actually drank 2 oz to her surprise and we were able to take him home about a half our later. Ivan slept for a few hours and then was up and crawling all over the place. This was really the first time that Ivan truly crawled. He has been army crawling for several weeks, but this was the first real crawl!
*UPDATE
Ivan did great over the next couple of days, but on Sunday when we had to take the bandage off, it turned ugly. Mike and I soaked him in the tub for a long period of time and then proceeded to remove the bandage. Well, when we got down to the last layer, we quickly realized that the bandage was stuck to his skin. Blood was gushing from the wound, Ivan was screaming, Daddy was shaking and I was crying hystericaly. Mike quickly covered up the wound and I called the hospital. They advised us that this happens sometimes and suggested that we soak him until the bandage comes off. So, we had to hold him down in the tub so that he didn't rip the bandage off and just waited and waited and waited. It did finally come off, but it seems to be causing him quite a bit of pain, mostly at night. He wakes up screaming several times at night, so we have to keep him well medicated. I guess this is the first heart break that Mike and I have had to endure with our little guy, but I have a feeling there are lots more to come.
No comments:
Post a Comment